Benhurst Primary School was opened in April 1939 to serve the local community in the Elm Park area of the London Borough of Havering.
The school's name originated from 'Ben', a room of a cottage, and 'Hurst', a wooded hillside or glade. This area was once an orchard and hunting reserve and all roads around the school have names connected with forestry (Warren, Northwood, Woodcote etc). Its foundation was necessary with the development of the Elm Park estate by Richard Costain in the 1930's.
In September 2014, the school increased its capacity from 315 to 420 children to provide 60 places in every year group. Our outstanding children, excellent staff, supportive parents and impressive resources have meant the additional places have quickly filled and we are now oversubscribed in most year groups.
In October 2016, we were delighted to convert to an academy and join The LIFE Education Trust. This is a local Trust which prides itself on a strong ethos underpinned by excellence and opportunity in all we do.