Ethos & Values
For our school to maximise its true potential and continue to flourish, all members of the school community must share a common set of beliefs and values. At Benhurst, we have defined the Core Values which underpin our thoughts and actions.
Wisdom at Benhurst - we make good choices. We wait for negative emotions like anger, fear or resentment to pass before taking action, wherever we are. We consider the thoughts of others as well as our own. We approach each day with an open mind and a readiness to learn.
Justice at Benhurst - we treat others as we would like to be treated. We are truthful and honest in all we do. We show self-discipline in the face of our desires and are concerned with the well-being of others.
Courage at Benhurst - we are brave when faced with a challenge and persevere when things are tough. We are not reckless but willing to take necessary risks when fear, embarrassment or the opinion of others might otherwise discourage us from doing what is right and proper.
Compassion at Benhurst - we help those who need help, not just our friends. We are forgiving of others who have made poor choices and show care and concern for all. We put others before ourselves and show kindness in all we do.
Belief at Benhurst - we believe in everyone. We know that hard work and good intentions make a difference. We look to the future with positivity and high expectations and work hard to achieve our dreams and ambitions.
Respect at Benhurst - we are kind and polite to everyone. We are tolerant of people of all faiths, cultures and backgrounds and honour the achievements and qualities of others.
Responsibility at Benhurst - we keep our word. We take care of our work, always conduct ourselves responsibly and follow the Golden Rules, both in out and of school. We accept our failures and mistakes without excuses and with a willingness to improve and persevere.
Examples of how we will share our Core Values
• Our actions. These values apply to everyone and we lead by example.
• Language. These words permeate everyday school life.
• Planning and Marking. Where possible, we make reference to our values in lessons and when marking books.
• Displays. Classrooms have a dedicated display to the Core Values. A permanent display in the hall has also been commissioned.
• Twitter. We showcase our children's achievements on Twitter (@BenhurstPrimary) and always link their learning or actions to our Core Values.
• Assemblies. Assemblies are specifically linked to a Core Value to help the children clearly understand their true meaning and why they are important.
• Sunshine Badges. These are awarded in Celebration Assembly and are linked to a Core Value and explained as such when being awarded.
• Values stickers. These are awarded by staff to children who have positively exhibited a Core Value.
• Communication. Letters to parents, the school website and Twitter raise awareness and promote our Core Values.
• You Tube. KS2 classes have created a short video that explain a Core Value; these are available to watch on the school YouTube account. Creating these videos gave our children a greater understanding of our values and are a useful resource to our teachers and children for years to come.
Our values are clear, simple to understand and will support our children in their development both inside and outside the classroom. Benhurst prides itself not only in providing an excellent education for its pupils but in developing young people into well rounded individuals who make positive contributions to the society in which they live.