In 2013, the government announced new funding for every state funded school in the country with primary aged pupils; for physical education and sport, in order to improve the quality and breadth of PE and Sport provision. We call this funding PE Premium.
Schools have been told that they are best placed to decide how to spend the funding to meet the needs of the pupils.
All pupils will leave Benhurst Primary School physically literate and with the knowledge, skills, and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.
To achieve self-sustaining improvement in the quality of PE and sport at Benhurst. To increase awareness of leading a healthy active lifestyle. This will include continued improvement in the following areas:
· The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – kick-starting healthy active lifestyles.
· The profile of PE and sport increasingly raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement.
· Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport across the school.
· Sustained participation in competitive sport for all pupils.
· Quality of planning and teaching to meet the needs of all pupils.
· Increased parent involvement in developing healthy lifestyle choices for their children.
· Increased opportunities for pupils to plan, lead and organise sport and physical activity exercises and events.
What is currently taking place at Benhurst?
2 hours of physical education per week.
Wide range of additional clubs for all ages and abilities.
Access to 5–a-day TV within the classroom.
A range of extra curricular sports clubs.
Inter school competitions.
Intra school competitions (competitive and non-competitive).
Links with secondary school PE departments.
How the PE Premium is used